The focus of the Instructional Services Department is to ensure that teachers and principals have the research-based instructional strategies, professional development, support and resources they need in order to provide an instructional program of the highest quality for all students.
We provide leadership, support, and supervision of the kindergarten through sixth grade curriculum, including: District-adopted curriculum, English learner student programs, Gifted Education Services (GES), instructional improvement programs, and assessment and accountability systems.
Department Staff and Contact Information:
- Dr. Mary Kahn
Assistant Superintendent, Instructional Services
(805) 681-1200 x2203 / email@example.com
- Kim Bruzzese
Director of Instructional Services
(805) 681-1200 x2224 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ryan Sparre
Coordinator of @Afterschool Program
(805) 681-1200 x2226 / email@example.com
- Brigitte Haley
TOSA/Differentiation Specialist (GES/ formerly GATE)
(805) 681-1200 x2243 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kandie White TOSA/Science
(805) 681-1200 x2243 / email@example.com
- Maija Miller
(805) 681-1200 x2203 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lupe Herrera
(805) 681-1200 email@example.com
- Dr. Ana Requena-Johnson
(805) 681-1200 x2222 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kimberly Corral
(805) 681-1200 x2211 / email@example.com
The CA Dashboard
The Dashboard is a new website that shows how local educational agencies and schools are performing on the indicators included in California’s new school accountability system. The Dashboard provides information that schools can use to improve.
The Dashboard was created to give parents and the public a better idea of what is happening in our schools and districts and to identify schools and districts that need extra help. The Dashboard is a component of the Local Control Funding Formula law passed in 2013 that significantly changed how California provides funding to public schools and holds local educational agencies accountable for student performance.
The Local Control Funding Formula law required that the State Board of Education adopt a new accountability tool that reflects performance in different priority areas identified in the law. The Dashboard is how performance data on the state and local indicators that the State Board of Education included in this new accountability tool is shown publicly.
- Grade Level Standards
- Common Core Grade Level Standards
Information on Common Core Standards for Education:
- Parent Brochures for English Language Arts/Literacy:
- Parent Brochures for Mathematics:
- Parent Brochures for English Language Development:
- K-6 Common Core Standards – Parent Handbook
- National Common Core State Standards Website
- CA Department of Education Webpage in Common Core Standards
- California State Curriculum Frameworks (including Common Core Standards)
- Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (How students will be assessed)
- What do I Need To Know About The Common Core? Top 8 Questions Parents Ask Teachers / Qué necesito saber Sobre el Núcleo Común_ Las 8 Preguntas que Más le Preguntan los Padres a los Maestros (1)
Informational Documents About GUSD Instruction, Achievement, and Planning:
- Instructional Minutes
- Textbook Adoption / Adopción Mayor de Libros del Distrito
- Categorical Program Descriptions *see note below / Descripciones del programa Categórico *vea la nota abajo
- Gifted Services (Formerly GATE) *see note below
- School Accountability Report Cards
*NOTE: Categorical Programs are supported with restricted supplemental state and federal funds that have been reduced, eliminated, or have become unrestricted. The district now supports several of these programs with general fund resources. As a result some requirements for reporting or specific program elements are no longer required.