Here at the GUSD website, we hope you’ll find everything you need to stay connected with your children’s education. You’ll find current information, district news, and links to help you connect to the people and places you’re looking for. If you don’t find what you need on the website, click here to find phone numbers and addresses for all of our schools and district departments.
- Click here for CAASPP – Student Assessment Parent Resources
- Click here to subscribe to GUSD News updates
- Scroll down to read the latest GUSD news.
The Goleta Union School District has named this year’s Distinguished Educators. Each year school principals work with their faculty to select individuals who exemplify excellent service and professional practice. This selection is meant to spotlight candidates who represent the exceptionally high quality of teachers and other certificated instructional and support employees throughout the District.
District administrators work with principals and each of the Distinguished Educators to select one of the nine honorees to be advanced as the District’s nominee for the Santa Barbara County Teacher of the Year. The Santa Barbara County Education Office will select the finalist from among nominees throughout the county and announce their selection later this spring.
This year, the GUSD Distinguished Educators are:
- Peggy Grossman, School Psychologist at Brandon School
- Linda Sparkuhl, Fifth Grade Teacher at El Camino School
- Judith Quintero, Kindergarten Teacher at Ellwood School
- Trisa White Ranson, First Grade Teacher at Foothill School
- Sara Kaplowitz, Fifth Grade Teacher at Hollister School
- Soccoro Chavez, Kindergarten Teacher at Isla Vista School
- Robyn Young, Inclusion Specialist at Kellogg School
- Susan Walton, Reading Specialist at La Patera School
- Lisa Embury, Sixth Grade Teacher at Mountain View School
In addition to serving as Distinguished Educator at Mountain View School, Lisa Embury has been selected as GUSD’s Distinguished Educator and the District’s nominee for County Teacher of the Year.
Classified Employees of the Year for GUSD and SBCEO will be announced in the spring.
On Saturday, November 14, Christopher Hanna, a fourth grade teacher at Ellwood School in the Goleta Union School District, was honored as one of Santa Barbara County’s three Distinguished New Educators.
“A Salute To Teachers” was presented as a partnership between the Santa Barbara County Education Office and Cox Communications. The third annual event included celebration of three teachers who have been chosen as Distinguished New Educators and three who were recognized as Distinguished Mentors. The gala event also included a presentation to the 2016 Santa Barbara County Teacher of the Year, Brandon Sportel.
Exceptional coverage of A Salute to Teachers has been published throughout the month by Noozhawk, also a sponsoring partner in the event. You can read more about Mr. Hanna here, including a video link to work by his fourth grade students using computer software to create virtual tours of California missions. Click here for link to more information about other Santa Barbara educators who were honored at “A Salute to Teachers.”